Thursday, July 31, 2014

Emily Balzer - Candidate for Membership in the OSUMB

As everyone knows, it's been a very difficult week for the OSU band program. I have yet to make a personal statement in the heat of events, and I believe I have finally found the words I've been searching for. Tonight I experienced what it was like to truly be involved in the ohio state marching band's program. As we fell in for Sloopy, around 100 alumni were there cheering, singing, and clapping with all of the sweaty, worn-out participants at tonight's session. Yes, we were worn out, but if you think that had any influence on how hard we push to perform Hang On Sloopy, you are terribly mistaken. You see, when you are a part of something as strong as the Ohio State Marching band, no matter how bad you feel, how scared, sick, exhausted you may be, you drive through it. You focus on striving towards a perfect arc on Sloopy with parallel legs and crescendos in the correct places. And tonight, as we finished, and I screamed "Yeah!" with my horn out proud showing off how hard we just worked, I didn't feel my shoulders throbbing or my arm aching. I stood there, staring straight forward at all of the alumni going crazy for the song they love to hear. I stood there, a part of something more powerful than I will ever be able to fathom. I stood there, a proud candidate trying out for The Best Damn Band In The Land.

The pride and excitement continued through 3 ramps and POPSICLES (THANK YOU TBS!!) along with a good "O-H, I-O OHIO!" with the alumni assisting us, of course.

And just when I thought it was all over, when I was walking back to my section, a familiar melody rang through the air triggering a goosebumps sensation down my arms. I stopped everything and turned to see those 100 people, arm in arm, swaying to Carmen Ohio. The 5 people around me wrapped their arms around me and swayed with me. I don't know their history, I don't know where they're from, but we are all a part of music and The Ohio State University. At that very moment I realized what it means to be a member of an organization as powerful as The Ohio State University Marching Band.

I would like to thank all of the alumni, especially Stephanie Renae and those of E and R rows who brought us candy and cookies! And I want to thank all of the fantastic Vets, Rookies, and Squad Leaders for being the most amazing group of people I have ever met. You are my heroes.

No comments:

Post a Comment